If you plan to leave Austin during Winter Break, here are some important insurance tips to keep in mind:
- Keep your insurance card with you at all times.
- Fill your prescriptions before leaving for vacation.
- Know where to seek care for different medical needs when you are away from University Health Services:
- For severe or potentially life-threatening emergencies, call 911 or go to a local hospital emergency room.
- For conditions or injuries that can be treated outside of an emergency room but require prompt attention, use a local Urgent Care Clinic. Common reasons to use these clinics are:
- Wounds that require stitches
- Allergic reactions that are not life-threatening
- Sprains and broken bones
- For conditions that require less time-sensitive attention (ex: headaches, simple colds, rashes, etc) care is usually best provided at a doctor’s office or clinic by a primary care physician or physician’s assistant.
- Don’t forget to use in-network providers to save money. If you hold UT Select or the UT student health insurance plan, search for providers in the BlueCross/BlueShield network.
- Take advantage of the University Health Services Nurse Advice Line at 512-475-6977. UT Austin students may call 24 hours a day/7 days a week for medical guidance.
Be careful, plan ahead, and have a fun and SAFE Winter Break!