Congratulations on completing your J-1 program and advancing your research or teaching here at The University of Texas at Austin! We have prepared a recommended departure checklist to assist you in completing your university and personal affairs before leaving the United States. For additional information about each item on the checklist, please see your J-1 Scholar Orientation Guide, page 24.
- Update your forwarding address.
- Pay your University fees, if applicable.
- Save all of your immigration documents.
- File your tax return or mark your calendar.
- Request the return of your apartment deposit.
- Make sure you have received reimbursement on all of your medical insurance claims.
- Obtain a retirement deduction refund (UT employees only).
- Close your bank account.
It has been a pleasure assisting you during your visit. We hope that you will stay connected to UT Austin in one of the following ways:
- Texas Exes, the alumni association for UT Austin, has chapters throughout the globe. You can explore the existing international chapters and get in contact with Longhorns in your area. If you don’t see a chapter in your country, you can start one by filling out the Texas Exes Opportunities for Involvement survey here.
- Find the International Office on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Add your mailing address to the UT Austin Alumni & Friends network.
We hope that your J-1 program has provided you with numerous opportunities for exchange with students, faculty, researchers and the Austin community. We are grateful to have been a part of your experience here in Austin. As you depart from Austin and embark upon your future endeavors, we wish you the best of luck and hope you carry with you the motto of The University of Texas at Austin, “What starts here changes the world.”