With the Winter Break soon upon us, we here at the International Office know that many of you may be travelling out of the country to home or for vacation.
If you have any questions about travel, meet with your immigration advisor to get your travel signature or required immigration documents, or take care of any program extensions before the IO closes. The IO will be closed for the Winter Break from Wednesday, December 23rd and will reopen on Monday, January 4th, 2016.
ISSS will be holding a Travel Signature Day on Friday, December 11th, from 9:00am to 11:30am in the Flawn Academic Center, Room 330. More information on this specific event will be included in a future blog post.
Always remember to carry the following with you:
- Unexpired passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
- Valid visa. If it has expired, you will need to renew at the local U.S. embassy in your country (Canadian citizens exempt)
- Valid I-94 (electronic or paper)
- Students, please have your SEVIS fee receipt
- For F-1 students, a valid I-20 with a recent travel signature
- For J-1 students, a valid DS-2019 with a recent travel signature
- For J-1 Scholars, a valid DS-2019 with a recent travel signature (good for one year), along with SEVIS fee receipt
- For H-1B Scholars, your original I-797 Approval Notice from USCIS, along with your H-1B packet
- TN scholars: Letter from your department used for original visa application.
DHS offers a Traveler Redress Inquiry Program called DHS Trip, which according to their website, is designed for travelers who have inquiries or seek resolution regarding difficulties experienced during travel screening at transportation hubs—like airports and train stations—or crossing U.S. borders.
Per DHS, you can use DHS Trip to report your travel issues, such as:
- Watch list issues
- Screening problems at ports of entry
- Situations where travelers believe they have been unfairly or incorrectly delayed, denied boarding or identified for additional screening at our nation’s transportation hubs
We hope everyone has safe travels during the holidays!