Are you a continuing UT student who enjoys meeting people from other cultures and countries? Helping with International Student Orientation is a fantastic way to meet new international students, make new friends, and share culture! Each year, The University of Texas at Austin and the International Office welcome hundreds of international students to the Longhorn community. The International Orientation Assistant (IOA) Program provides UT students the opportunity to get involved in International Orientation activities. In each spring, we hire between 17 and 20 IOAs to assist with our international student orientation.
How can you get involved?
Sharing your culture and learning about others can be a rewarding experience! We invite UT students with an international interest to become an IOA. Help International Office staff members check students in during International Briefing & Check-In (IBC), share your knowledge of UT and Austin during International Orientation, and attend fun welcome events to interact with our newest international community members. Involvement includes mandatory IOA training sessions, attendance at International Orientation, and other IBC and orientation events. Selected IOA candidates will be required to attend IOA training session on January 4. Orientation-related events will begin starting January 4 and the last event will take place on January 12.
- Expected enrollment at UT Austin during spring 2018
- Must have been a UT Austin student for at least one semester prior to spring 2018
- Interest and/or familiarity working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- Commitment to attend a mandatory training session on January 4
- Commitment to attend New International Student Orientation & Resource Fair on January 5 and Welcome Saturday on January 6
- Must work a minimum of three IBCs and two social events
- At least 4-6 hours per week commitment during program dates (some weeks could vary due to training and the social events you sign up for)
Successful applicants profile:
- Familiar and/or interested in working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- $125 stipend (paid upon program completion)
How to Apply
Please complete our online application before November 19. If you have never been an IOA before, you will have to upload your resume and answer questions about your interest in being an IOA.