Are you a continuing UT student who enjoys meeting people from other cultures and countries? Helping with International Student Orientation is a fantastic way to meet new international students, make new friends, and share culture! Each year, The University of Texas at Austin and the International Office welcome hundreds of international students to the Longhorn community. The International Orientation Assistant (IOA) Program provides UT students the opportunity to get involved in International Orientation activities. In each fall, we hire between 32 and 36 IOAs to assist with our international student orientation.
How can you get involved?
Sharing your culture and learning about others can be a rewarding experience! We invite UT students with an international interest to become an IOA. Help International Office staff members check students in during International Briefing & Check-In (IBC), share your knowledge of UT and Austin during International Orientation, and attend fun welcome events to interact with our newest international community members. Involvement includes mandatory IOA training session on August 9, attendance at International Orientation, and other IBC and orientation events. Orientation-related events will begin starting August 13 and the last event will take place on August 26.
- Expected enrollment at UT during fall 2018
- Must have been a UT student for at least one semester prior to fall 2018
- Interest and/or familiarity working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- Commitment to attend a mandatory training session on August 9
- Commitment to attend New International Student Orientation & Resource Fair on August 17 and Welcome Saturday on August 18
- Must work a minimum of six IBCs and two social events
- At least 12-15 hours per week commitment during program dates, some weeks would vary due to training and the social events you sign up for
Successful applicants profile:
- Familiar and/or interested in working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- $300 stipend (paid upon program completion)
How to Apply
Please complete our online application before May 6. If you have never been an IOA before, you will have to upload your resume and answer questions about your interest in being an IOA.
If you have any questions, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org