Spring Orientation is right around the corner! We will be welcoming 300-400 international exchange, graduate, and transfer students in January and we need your help! Please consider assisting your new classmates by volunteering to be an International Orientation Volunteer (IOV).
Any UT student, domestic or international, with an interest in global community is welcome to become an IOV. IOVs assist Texas Global staff to help new international students navigate the various orientation programs and events offered, while sharing your knowledge of UT and Austin. Orientation day is January 10 in the Texas Union. Other social events include a campus scavenger hunt, rollerskating at Playland Skate, CapMetro Transit Adventures and more!
Involvement in the IOV Program includes attendance at a mandatory IOV training session, and at a minimum of 3 other International Orientation welcome events.
- Expected enrollment at UT during Spring 2020
- Will be located in Austin on January 9 through January 16
- Must have been a UT student for at least one semester prior to Spring 2020
- Interest and/or familiarity working with diverse populations in cross-cultural settings
- Commitment to attend a one-hour mandatory training session on January 9, 2020
- Commitment to assist at International Student Orientation or the Welcome Lunch on Friday, January 10, 2020
- Commitment to assist during Welcome Weekend events on January 11, 2020.
- Commitment to assist at one of the follow-on orientation and social events:
- Cap Metro City Tours, January 12-16, 2020
- Texas Two Step Afternoon, January 13, 2020
- Roller-Rink Skate Day, January 14, 2020
- Exchange Student Reception, January 17, 2020
While this is an unpaid position, we will try to show our heartfelt thanks to our wonderful IOVs when they fulfill their volunteer commitments (3 Orientation events plus the 1 hour training session on Thursday, January 9):
- A selection of Texas Global and UT Swag!
- A signed certificate from Texas Global certifying your completion of the volunteer program
- A letter of thanks from Texas Global (helpful for future volunteer and internship applications!)
In addition, we would like to invite IOVs to join Texas Global staff who volunteered during Orientation to a celebratory Thank You meal after we finish our Orientation duties.
*Students familiar with the previous IOA program will notice that we are unable to offer compensation this Spring due to a variety of issues. In light of this, we have consciously lessened the required duties to better align with a volunteer position. We will still shower you with our appreciation and thanks!
How to Apply
Please fill out the following survey to express your interest.
Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 8 a.m.
If you have any questions about the IOA program, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org