Hello! In this blog post I will share some of my favorite spots in Austin – all places you can get to very easily on foot or by bus!
On or Near Campus (walk-able):
- Darrell K. Royal Football Stadium – You can study downstairs or upstairs in the Stark Center for Physical Culture and Sports (which is a really great space)!
- Blanton Cafe – Once a month they will host a live music performance during lunch hours.
- Harry Ransom Center – This is a great place to go on a rainy day. I always snag a $1 postcard of my favorite piece at the tiny stand on my way out.
- AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center – There is a great outdoor sitting area and cafe upstairs that is open to the public.
- Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary – Just north of campus, they have a beautiful chapel and also a small library that is very quiet.
- Austin-Hemphill Neighborhood Park – Take a break from studying and take a walk to the park!
- Texas French Bread – This is a nice spot for breakfast, baked goods, and coffee.
803 North Bound – (Bus stop next to the Communications building on Guad. or bus stop in front of the Union Building)
- Central Market – One of my favorite spots in all of Austin. There is live music on the weekends and an upstairs sitting area to read, study, or meet a friend! They have smoothies, soups, salads, and a cafe! (Rosedale stop)
- Blue Elephant/Paper Place boutiques – These are small, local shops with great gift ideas and quirky items. (Rosedale stop)
- Houndstooth Cafe – This cafe is known for their good coffee and is also a great spot to meet with a friend. (Rosedale stop)
- Domain Mall (Domain stop)
803/801 South Bound – (Bus stop in front of Kerbey Lane or Co-op on Guadalupe)
- Violet Crowne Movie Theater – A small local theater with drinks and food; buy your tickets in advance! (Republic Square stop on 4th street)
- Halcyon – For table-top s’mores and hangouts. (Republic Square stop on 4th street)
- Starbucks on 3rd street – This is a great spot to people-watch if you get the corner table in between the windows. (Republic Square stop on 4th street)
- Jo’s (Republic Square stop on 4th street)
- PRIZE Boutique and Luxe Apothetique Boutique – PRIZE has a wonderful selection of fun greeting cards. (Republic Square stop on 4th street)
801 Southbound – (Bus stop in front of Kerbey Lane on Guadalupe and Co-op on Guadalupe)
- South Congress Shops and Restaurants (SOCO stop)
- Tom’s Cafe (SOCO stop)
801 Northbound – (Bus stop next to the Comm. building on Guadalupe and the bus stop in front of the Union Building)
- Mandola’s Italian restaurant (Triangle stop)
- Goodwill + Half Price book store (Brentwood Station)
I would love to hear from you about any of the recommendations and what you thought of them. Also, let me know if you have suggestions to add in the comments below!