Congratulations on completing your J-1 program and advancing your research or teaching here at The University of Texas at Austin! Here’s a departure checklist to assist you in completing your university and personal affairs before leaving the United States:
- Update forwarding address
- Pay university fees
- Save immigration documents
- File tax return or mark your calendar
- Request the return of apartment deposit
- Make sure you have received reimbursement on all of your medical insurance claims
- Obtain a retirement deduction refund (UT employees only)
- Close your bank account
For additional information about each item, see your J-1 Scholar Orientation Guide, page 23.
It’s been a pleasure assisting you during your visit. We hope you will stay connected to UT Austin in one of the following ways:
- Texas Exes, the alumni association for UT Austin, has chapters throughout the globe. You can explore the existing international chapters and get in contact with Longhorns in your area. If you don’t see a chapter in your country, you can start one by filling out the Texas Exes Opportunities for Involvement survey.
- Follow the International Office on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Add your mailing address to the UT Austin Alumni & Friends network.
We know that your J-1 program has provided you with numerous opportunities for exchange with students, faculty, researchers and the Austin community. We are grateful to have been a part of your experiences. As you depart and embark upon your future endeavors, we wish you the best of luck and hope you carry with you the motto of The University of Texas at Austin: “What starts here changes the world.”
Wanglai Cen says
It is quite impressive to be a visiting scholar in UT at Austin. The host professor Graeme Henkelmen have helped me a lot in my research.
Had a very good experience at UT. Proud to be a part of it. What started here will surely change the world.
Sahar Zafari says
My program ends at 08/31/2018 but my visa is valid till 06/23/2018. I dont have plan to leave US do I need to apply for visa while I am here?
About grace period, is it strat from the day the program ends or the visa expires?
Cong Xiao says
I think there is a mistake. My J-1 program has been extended to 08/31/2019 in the last year.