Are you a J-1 student graduating from your degree program or completing your exchange program in Fall 2023? Are you interested in staying and working in the U.S. after completing your program? If so, now is the time to apply for J-1 academic training.
What is J-1 academic training?
Academic training is a work authorization for students with J-1 immigration status. It allows J-1 students to work in a job or internship directly related to their major field of study at The University of Texas at Austin.
How much J-1 academic training am I eligible for?
Eligibility depends on the length of your program of study at UT Austin, your education level and the amount of academic training you have already used (if any). To see how much academic training you are eligible for, please refer to the ISSS webpage on academic training.
How do I apply for J-1 academic training?
1. Fully review the academic training information on our website.
2. Obtain a job or internship offer in your field. The job or internship must start within 30 days of your program completion date or UT Austin’s graduation. If you are completing your degree or exchange program in Fall 2023, your employment start date must be on or before Monday, January 15, 2024.
3. Ask your employer to complete and sign the J-1 academic training employment verification form.
4. Submit your academic training request. To do this, log into myIO and navigate to J-1 Student Services then select Academic Training Request. As part of the process, you will need to upload the completed and signed J-1 academic training employment verification form.
You must submit your entire request before your employment starts and before your DS-2019 expires. Leave enough time for your request to be approved by your department and then by International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). The final deadline for submission is Friday, December 1, 2023.
5. If you have properly maintained your J-1 student status, and your academic training has been approved by your department, ISSS will authorize your academic training within 10 business days of your department’s approval. (See step 4.)
You will be notified by email when your academic training has been authorized. You will also receive an updated DS-2019 and an academic training authorization letter and will have to present both documents to your employer before you can start working.
I still have questions about academic training …
No problem! We would be happy to help. Please schedule an advising appointment with an international student advisor, exchange student advisor, or sponsored student advisor at ISSS.