An Affordable Way to Explore Austin
Did you know that Austin is a wonderful city to experience by bike? Dedicated bike paths, protected bike lanes and bike racks on all Capital Metro buses make it easy to get to and from campus from many different parts of the city. Not only is commuting by bike inexpensive and convenient, but it’s also great for both physical and mental health. Plus, it’s fun!
How to Rent a Bike in Austin as a Student
Austin’s bicycle-friendly environment is great for those who have been in town long enough to own a bike of their own, but what about international students and scholars who are new to Austin and the United States? Or for those who are hesitant to invest in a bike without first learning what it’s all about?
The Orange Bike Project (OBP), UT Austin’s volunteer-operated bike shop, is here to help. Located on the ground floor of the 27th St. Parking Garage, OBP offers free bike tune-ups and very inexpensive bike rentals to anyone with a UT EID.
How much does it cost?
For $50 you get a bike, a bike lock and all the free tune-ups you’ll need for an entire semester. All you need to provide is a helmet!
Get Ready to Ride with Texas Global
What if you’re not familiar with Texas traffic laws for bikes on roadways, don’t know how to ride Capital Metro buses with your bike or haven’t ridden a bike? Texas Global has you covered.
The Texas Global events page and upcoming emails from Texas Global offer info about lots of bike-related programs during the semester. In addition to social rides with Texas Global staff to fun locations near campus, we’ll be offering how-to workshops on everything from basic cycling skills and commuting by bike to quick repairs (like repairing a flat tire) that every cyclist should know how to do.
In the meantime, be sure to check out the resources below to familiarize yourself with Texas bike laws, and start planning routes to ride your bike from the Orange Bike Project.
Rentals and tune-ups are done by appointment only, so email email@example.com to book an appointment and get rolling today!
More Austin Cycling Info
More info on the Orange Bike Project and cycling in Austin:
- Orange Bike Project: UT Austin’s student-run on-campus bike rental and tune-up shop
- The Kickstand: UT Austin’s on-campus bike accessory shop (helmets, bike locks, tire tubes and other supplies)
- Fixit Stations: Tire pumps and bike tools are available to the public at several on-campus locations
- Biking in Austin: City of Austin government website with bike maps, bike laws and safety guidelines, plus a guide for bringing your bike onto Capital Metro buses and trains
- Ride Bikes Austin: Public Facebook group for weekly social rides around Austin